Ormskirk Gingerbread

I went to Ormskirk on Saturday in search of Ormskirk gingerbread. I asked several people where I could buy Ormskirk gingerbread and they didn't appear to have heard of it! However it was market day and I don't think the people I asked were local.

Eventually I was directed to D C Scott & Sons, a shop which was a butchers on one side and delicatessen on the other side, where I bought my gingerbread. The butchers sells dry cured bacon, old English sausage, Morris's black puddings, tripe, cow heel, pig's belly, oxtail hearts and local pork and lamb. I've never fancied tripe, the whole point of a stomach is that it's supposed to be indigestible, otherwise it would digest itself?

The gingerbread I bought is darker than Asbourne Gingerbread. According to an article in the Ormskirk Advertiser, the original gingerbreads were sold by the "Lady with the Basket" on market days in Ormskirk. Sally Woods, a widow with 13 children, made and sold gingerbread to provide for her family!

D C Scott & Sons
25-27 Church Street
Ormskirk
Lancashire
L39 3AG

Tel: 01695 572104

Comments