St Helier Central Market

Regular readers of this blog will know that I can't resist a good market, and St Helier has 2 excellent markets (I'll deal with the fish market in the next post). Central Market was built in 1882, and has a fine cast iron roof. Apparently the floor is a Site of Special Interest, but I was to busy looking at the stalls to notice!
There's butchers and delicatessens
and a fruit and veg shop which had my name on it:
Just William sold those flat doughnut shaded peaches which I first saw in the market in Bologna a few years ago:
They've got a very good flavour, but you don't see them much in the UK. Our supermarket buyers probably think they misshapes?

I went in search of a Jersey Wonder:
which I found in the market. It's vaguely like a doughnut. According to the BBC, the Jersey housewives cooked their Wonders as the tide went out. If they cooked them on an incoming tide, the fat in which the Wonders were cooked would invariably overflow the pan! I think they're called Jersey Wonders because they wonder why the tourists buy them....
To finish on a happier note, I definitely recommend the Pure Charity coffee shop, in the middle of the market next to the rather tacky fountain. The prices are very reasonable, it's in a great location, the food and drinks are great and all the profits go to charity. If I've not yet convinced you, did I tell you they sell banoffee cupcakes?
Pure Charity Cofee Shop
103/107 Central Market
St Helier
Jersey
JE4 4WI

Tel: 01534 724609

Web (coming soon): www.purecharity.org.je

Comments