Plymouth - The Market Plaice


The Market Plaice was a great name for a fish shop!  I first heard about The Market Plaice when I was at Flavour Fest, and as markets are often good places to buy fish I thought I'd pay them a visit.
As soon as I was in the shop I was impressed with the quality of the fish and the displays.
The fish were in groups on ice and clearly labelled.  There were plenty of staff to help, but sometimes it's nice to browse without having to guess what you're looking at abd the price.
Naturally they had plaice:
they also sold wild sea bass, red mullet, bream and John Dory: 
Apparently the eye like spot on the side of  a John Dory's body scares predators and confuses prey, which then get eaten!


There's mackerel, lobster, turbot, salmon and tuna:
and, if you're on a budget, homemade fishcakes:
and, for the brave, octopus and squid:
Most of the fish sold was very local, and they also had shellfish and local crabs.


The Market Plaice
The Fish Market - 9-14
Plymouth City Market
Cornwall Street
Plymouth
PL1 1PS


Tel: 01752 673200 / 228612   


Web: www.plymouthcitymarket.co.uk/Traders/The-Market-Plaice.aspx

Comments