Colne Farmers Market


Compared to Nantwich, Colne Farmers Market is tiny with only 5 or 6 stalls.

The first stall I visied was Wareings (Johnson's Farm, Meanygate, Tarleton, near Preston).

I bought some Italian black cabbage which I think should be called Cavolo Nero Kale. My mum says the darker cabbages are the more healthier they are, so I should be very healthy now! I wouldn't say it was my favourite (due to my bad cooking?) but I will look out for Wareings who attend a lot of farmers markets and one best produce in the 2007 North West Fine Food awards

John Holt had some nice meat, he farms at Great House Farm, Helmshore (which should be familiar to ADAS employees).

Lastly we went to Pat a Cake, Pendle nice friendly people who attend a different Farmers Market every weekend. Apparently a Dr Burns of Burnley said if people would eat a piece of parkin each day they would rarely be poorly! Well we bought some parkin, it was very nice. If you want to make your own, here's a recipe:
http://pendle.homestead.com/PENDLERECIPES.html















Comments

Anonymous said…
colne farmers market is small compact and the stalls are some of the best in the north west.
the veg is local and all in season no imported broccoli or lettuce hear only fresh lancashire grown produce.
the cake stall small and compact all home made tasty parkin.
Meat. fresh lamb, lovley shanks tasty with a bit of mint sauce.
go on give it a try small but everything you could need for your sunday dinner.