Whitefield, Manchester

A piece of Italy in Manchester
I often go to city centres and am disappointed to find the same shops in every city. When I visit suburbs I often find some interesting shops. Whitefield in north of Manchester is no exception.

Leave the M60 at Junction 17 and take the the A56 Bury New Road towards Bury. In less than a mile on the left you'll be at Slattery's Patissier and Chocolatier, but for today I'm going to carry on a short distance to Roma. It's on the opposite side of the road and at present has a sign saying they're still open as building work is going on next door.

At the front Roma is an Italian delicatessen, at the back a cafe/restaurant.

As you would expect there's lots of pasta, olive oil, wine and sauces etc. They have home-made bread and cakes, and a good selection of Italian cheeses and charcuterie. I personally wasn't keen on the cannoli (an Italian pastry desert). However I would definitely recommend buying their florentines (unless your teeth are not good) and some of their excellent Italian nougat (which bears no resemblance to the pink and white hard stuff which we had as kids and none of my friends like any more). They also have home-made icecream.

You can get good coffee at the back or if you're going for a meal they serve pizza and pasta dishes.

I'm not Italian, so I'm sure I've missed some excellent foods in this store (comments welcome)?

However it's good value for money and an authentic and friendly atmosphere.

If you head north you'll then be able to visit the World Famous Bury Market, but I'll save that for another day...

Roma
268 Bury New Road
Whitefield
Manchester
M45 8QS

Tel: 0161 766 2941

Comments