Another day, another Delia

When I got home today the Pearson family's copy of Delia Smith's latest cookery book, Delia's how to cheat at cooking, was waiting on the doorstep.

I already knew it was out, as Mark and Spencer had helpfully featured and identified key ingredients they sold that were featured in the book. I wonder how many people who buy the tins of Marks and Spencer Chunky Steak (eat well, lean and tender) notice that it is made in Brazil with Brazilian beef? When I was a child in the 1960's Marks and Spencer used to proclaim the incredibly high percentage of their produce that was British. I realise the effects of market forces etc. , but is it right to move beef over 9,000 km whilst we have climate change and British beef farmers are struggling to make a living, working long hours doing a difficult job?

According to the press "Delia Smith backs factory farming to help poor" (Telegraph) and "Chickens and food miles? I’m more concerned about people, says Delia Smith" (Times). I hope that people don't think my blog is elitist (I've been visiting lots of Staffordshire Oatcake shops today where you can have a tasty cooked snack and change from a pound). It's a pity schools don't teach people how to cook properly (you can make a lovely stew quite quickly in a pressure cooker with cheaper joints of meat bought from the shops featured in this blog.

Anyway if you're reading this Delia, I think it's a great book (I love cookery books with pictures of every recipe) and we know that Delia's recipes always work. And let's face it, we're all short of time and sometimes need to take short cuts. I shall give the book pride of place in my library of cookery books, probably next to Short-cut Rhodes (another favourite from Gary Rhodes).

Buy Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking from Amazon here.

Comments

Unknown said…
Is the Delia book a reincarnation of her previous book on the subject, from 20 odd years back? Or is it new material?
Bill Pearson said…
According to today's Observer Food Monthly, Delia says this one is completely different, 'Because cheating has come on a lot!'

Delia's first ever cookbook (also called How to Cheat at Cooking) became a best seller in 1971.