Chester - Francis Thomas

Francis Thomas have an attractive display of flowers at the front of the shop and a nice selection of fruit and vegetables, especially apples. They also sell apple juices from nearby Eddisbury Fruit Farm.

They also sell less usual vegetables including eddoes and plantains. The question is what do I do with the eddo I bought yesterday? The lady that sold it to me confessed she didn't actually like it, but recommended steaming it. Eddo seems to have lots of spellings and different names, Wikpedia suggests Taro.

The Romans apparently used it like we use potatoes. Two minutes with Google mainly suggested I should make soup with it , but I liked this site: http://www.caribbeantrade.co.uk/eddoe.htm which says "when crushed with a little milk and butter when hot makes you feel you have been filled with energy you never knew you were missing"!

Francis Thomas
74 Northgate Street

Chester
CH1 2HT

Tel: 01244 322 968

Comments