Chester

I don't go to Chester that often and when I got there today I remembered why! The minimum fee to park my car in the car park by the market was £3-50 (the footballers wives pay 25p for an hour in Alderley Edge) and the staircase up to the market smelt like it had been used as a toilet! It's also always busy (I try and avoid people on my photos, but in Chester it would be a very long wait).

Happily my favourite shops are fairly close to each other. I'll cover Joseph Benjamin and the Chester Cheese Shop in separate blogs, because they deserve it.

Today I'll cover Chester Market. The earliest mention of Chester Market was in 1139. Today it's in a not particularly attractive sixties building, but there's a good selection of stores including the Cheese Wedge, John Sheldon Fruit and Veg, Design a Cake, Sophie's Cakes and Confectionery, Arden's Cooked Meats, Sea King fisheries and several butchers (Fernyhoughs, Geoff Hughes, David Joinson).

According to the web site there's a shop selling Afro Carribean foods which I some how managed to miss.

I got a rib of beef from Fernihough's. The butcher obligingly brought out a huge piece and let me choose exactly where he chopped it. He warned me that meat prices are likely to go up in future, fortunately we both agreed that they won't double like corn prices have!














Web: http://www.chestermarket.com

Comments