Porthill

Yesterday, selflessly and in the interests in the readers of this blog, I decided to tackle a survey of traditional Staffordshire oatcake shops. Oatcakes can be surprisingly filling so I enlisted the support of my wife and youngest son and we managed to get round 7 different oatcake sellers.


I was going to rate the shops on taste of oatcake, range of fillings, price and friendliness but soon decided it was going to get complicated. Some of the cheaper oatcakes were smaller than the more expensive ones and without measures and scales it could get very complicated.


The first shop we found was Mellor's Oatcakes.


I decided to standardise by going for a cheese and onion filling (I think cheese and bacon is probably more popular with the Potters). My cheese and onion oatcake was a good size and possibly the best of the day and cost £1-10.


This shop deserves extra marks for cooking the onions and oatcake properly rather than lobbing it into a microwave. I was pleased to note that this shop uses free range eggs in their oatcakes.


An excellent start to the day!


Mellor's Oatcakes
38 Lawson Terrace
Porthill
Newcastle-under-Lyme
ST5 8NZ

Tel: 07714 440941

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi
This is Nev who owns Mellors in Porthill you have the wrong telephone number for us!!!!! Could you rectify this please the number is 07714440941

Thanks
Nev Rowe
Anonymous said…
I have had oatcakes from this shop, through different owners, for over 30 years, and I have yet to taste any that are as good.
Anonymous said…
Big Nev,Port vale are looking for oatcakes for matchdays:
The Lindley Catering deal is now dead. Negotiations are underway to bring oatcakes to Vale Park, for both upstairs and downstairs areas.
Unknown said…
Just had a breakfast, really enjoyed it saved me cooking
Yvonne
Unknown said…
I've used mellors for breakfast and cannot say I have been any oatcake shop that's as good.