Pancake Day

It's Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day today! Many people have lemon juice and sugar on them, when I was a child we also had raspberry vinegar on them. I see Mrs Beeton uses Brandy to make hers! My mum used to make the raspberry vinegar using the poorer shaped raspberries from our garden, a recipe is here.

If you don't want to make your own (and in February you can't) you can buy raspberry vinegar, some are good and others are awful. The clue to a good one is on the label, don't buy one with artificial flavourings. The one I used today is from the Hawkshead Relish Company and is made simply from raspberries and vinegar (I prefer the unsweetened sort as I have diabetes and need to avoid sugar and add artificial sweetener instead). I think I bought it from Hollies Farm Shop which is one of my favourite farm shops (they will be featured in a blog soon).

Comments