Clitheroe

Clitheroe is an attractive town in Lancashire, where the castle (built around 1186) towers above the town. It's a place where many go to buy sausages....

As a child I always wondered why pork sausages were dearer than beef sausages, when pork was generally cheaper than beef. The answer is in the Food Labelling Regulations. Pork Sausage must contain at least 65% meat,of which a minimum of 80% of the meat must be pork. Beef Sausage must contain at least 50% meat of which a minimum of 50% of the meat used must be beef. In other words a cheap beef sausage could contain only 25% beef and still be legal!

At Cowmans pork means pork, beef means beef and lamb means lamb and all their sausages have a minimum of 75% meat.

They have a huge range of sausages including venison and ones for people on special diets.

My Uncle Ted used to ask me if I'd ever seen seen sausages hanging up in butchers' windows. When I said yes he looked surprised and said he'd always seen them hanging down!

He also couldn't understand why signs said "Sheep. Please shut the gate!" as he didn't know any sheep that could read...

I decided to take my pictures on a Sunday (as it's less busy), but of course the shop was shut, so there's no sausages hanging up or down.

Cowmans Famous Sausage Shop
13 Castle Street
Clitheroe
Lancashire
BB7 2BT

Tel: 01200 423842

Web: http://www.cowmans.co.uk

Comments