Ludlow - Deli on the Square

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! To celebrate Saint Patrick's Day the Deli on the Square has a fine selection of Irish cheeses. I particularly liked the Cashel Blue, a hand made blue veined semi-soft cheese from pasteurised whole cows' milk from Tipperary. Cheese varies in taste, depending on how old it is and how it's stored. This shop gives out samples, and when I tasted it I knew it was just how I like it. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't been encouraged to try some, other shops please take note!

I've already covered the Shrewsbury branch of the Deli on the Square, but I think the Ludlow branch (the original one) is even better.

They have over 130 different varieties of local, British and continental cheese, an interesting selection of cooked meats and sausage, scotch eggs and many other items.

They're famous for their mustard, including their own own Shropshire Lad Beer Mustard, and even have another website just for their mustard http://www.justmustard.com!

I bought some nice leek and walnut cheese tarts and salmon and dill tarts.

They also sell Tipsy fruit gins. When I worked on a South Shropshire farm, 30 year ago, nearly everyone made damson wine and or damson gin. I still think making damson gin is the best thing to do with damsons, which grow abundantly in Shropshire.

Since writing this, this business has closed and is now the excellent Harp Lane Deli.

Deli on the Square
4 Church Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 1AP

Tel: 01584 877353

Web: www.delionthesquareludlow.co.uk

Comments