Ruthin

In the 1980's I spent 7 very happy years living in Ruthin.  It's a delightful and friendly town in the Vale of Clwyd.  Ruthin has a fine range of old buildings including Nantclwyd House (a Grade 1 listed building which dates from 1314 and is open to the public), the old courthouse (built in 1401 and now a bank), a castle (now a hotel), an arts and crafts centre and Ruthin Gaol which is now a tourist attraction:
It's always interesting to go back to a place and see what's changed.  We always used to get our meat from John Jones (a butchers who also sells fish).  I bought some lamb chops and  they were as good as I remembered them to be.

John Jones & Son
29 Clwyd Street
Ruthin
LL15 1HH 

Tel: 01824 702737

I found another butchers on Well Street which also looked good.  In the Market Hall there's Heavenly Cakes who make celebration cakes, homemade sponge cakes, cookies and flapjacks and, of course, Welsh cakes:
There's now a Ruthin Produce Market on the last Saturday in the month (April to September) and a Christmas Market in the courtyard at Ruthin Gaol.


There were other new shops like the excellent Leonardos Delicatessen, which I'll deal with in my next post.

Comments