Under Pressure?

It's a bit depressing at the moment, with everyone talking about recession and money being tight. Someone recently said to me that this blog was a bit elitist and they couldn't afford to go in the shops I feature. I was rather surprised at that, I think supermarkets do a clever job of appearing to be cheaper than they are, and you can get some real bargains in some of the shops in this blog.

Anyway my tip for beating the recession is to buy a pressure cooker! I know that spending money to save money sounds a bit like fighting for peace or driving futher for cheap petrol! But the pressure cooker at the top of this blog is available from Amazon for less than £25 and should give years of service.

Why a pressure cooker? Well it enables you to make tasty meals from cheaper cuts of meat in no time at at all (a stew which would take 2 hours in the oven takes about 20 minutes). And that will save fuel costs as well.

You can make a delicious stock from a chicken carcass which is far superior than any stock cube creation (and you can choose exactly how much salt you add).

If you're vegetarian (and that's a good way to cut down the cost of food) you can also cook beans and pulses much faster. The shorter cooking time and reduced liquid means less vitamins and minerals are lost than through conventional boiling methods.

There's lots of recipes on the web e.g.
http://www.tefal.co.uk/tefal/magazine/recipe_results.asp?RelatedProducts=1&dept_id=120

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry that you got some depressing feedback. I want to thank you for allowing me visit the UK without leaving my desk. I found your blog purely by accident--a happy accident--and I look forward to seeing your new entries each day.