Filey

Filey is where I had most of my holidays when I was a small child.
It's a lovely seaside, especially for small children, with a vast sand beach where you can make great sand castles and dam small streams etc.

The picture at the top is taken at high tide when you can either walk along the top of Filey Brigg (with views across to Scarborough and Flamborough Head) or go to Coble Landing and sample some fresh crab or other sea food. Coble is the name for fishing boats used on this part of the coast.

The stall pictured in this post had a nice selection of different sea food which smelt fresh as well (unlike some on this coast).

We always used to go to Sterchi's bakery when we were on holiday.
At Sterchi's bakery we would buy assorted fruit pies, hazlenut japs, Yorkshire curd tarts and Sally Lunn tea bread.

I always thought Sally Lunn bread originated in Yorkshire, but I gather (after 2 minutes research with Google) it comes from Bath. The recipes are many and varied, the Fliey variety includes some dried fruit.

Happily Sterchi's are still in Filey (there's also a chocolate shop two doors up).

Sterchi's Ltd.
40 & 42 Murray Street
Filey
YO14 9DG

Tel: 01723 513120

Web: http://www.sterchis.co.uk

Comments

Katie said…
Wow, that bakery looks great, we are planning a trip to the East coast soon so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Katie

(www.leedsgrub.blogspot.com)
I remember buying my favorite cakes at Sterchi's years ago. I really loved that bakery. Until it closed down. The Sterchi's chocolate shop is still in Filey but moved to a different shop on Hope Street near my holiday home http://fileybaitshed.co.uk/
Bill Pearson said…
Thanks for that update.