Abergavenny - Massacres and Food Festivals

The last time I went to Abergavenny, I called in at a local hostelry "The Hen and Chicks" to use the facilities and enjoy a swift half!  I soon got talking to some very friendly locals, who started buying me drinks, and I ended up staying longer far longer than I'd intended (in case you're wondering, there's an excellent train service between Nantwich and Abergavenny)!

Anyway all was going well until the local's asked where I was going next.  I innocently said "the castle" which is when I first heard of the Abergavenny Massacre.  This took place in 1175, but the locals clearly  aren't going to forget it in a hurry.  Apparently an English man,  William de Braose, (who sounds a bit French to me) invited three Welsh princes and other Welsh leaders to a Christmas feast at the castle.  As it sounded like a bit of a knees up, they didn't bother taking any weapons to defend themselves, and they were all promptly murdered!  So I was to afraid to visit the castle on that occasion and retreated home!

Anyway today I returned to Abergavenny (gateway to South Wales and the Brecon Beacons National Park) as it was their 10th Food Festival.  It was a well organised and friendly affair with sites throughout the town including the lovely Market Hall (complete with hens):
and yes, the castle! 

There were too many stands to cover in any detail, but one of my favourites is the Cottage Herbery from Tenbury:
Inside the castle is a museum, which includes a Welsh farmhouse kitchen from around 1890:
and a recreation of Basil Jones's shop:
If that's wetted your appetite, Abergavenny Food Festival is also on tomorrow.


 

Comments