Stafford - Jackson's County Fruit Store

What an amazing place!  The thatched shop was built in 1610 and has a fantastic selection of fruit, vegetables herbs and spices.  The items in my recent competition (tumeric, Chinese pear, a custard, a Chinese gooseberry and some horseradish) all came from Jackson's, and they've got plenty more unusual fruit and vegetables both inside and outside this fascinating shop.  

I'd never encounted fresh horseradish before, and whilst grating it decided it was going to blow my head off (my eyes were streaming as I grated it).  However if you add cream or crème fraiche it mellows the taste considerably.  I notice that the Hairy Bakers used fresh horseradish and crème fraiche with smoked salmon on their bagels, but the recipe on the BBC's web site uses cream cheese - perhaps the producer didn't know about Jackson's?
Jackson's County Fruit Store
10 Mill Street
Stafford 
Stafford 
ST16 2AJ 

Tel: 01785 242124

Comments