The Taste of Britain

Christmas is always a time for a good read and I was pleased to stumble across this book in the library just before Christmas. It's nearly 500 pages and is a compendium of traditional British food. As someone who would prefer to buy a Scotch pie in Scotland rather than a Cornish pasty, and didn't know you could eat a Hawkshead wig I was instantly hooked. I've also discovered another gingerbread to investigate: Kirriemuir gingerbread.

So if you don't know what Mendip Wallfish are (snails), or that Jeddart Snails are a brown mint-flavoured boiled sweet, I recommend you read this book.

I thought I'd saved myself £25 by reading the library's copy, but now know I'll need a permanent copy of this valuable reference! The Taste of Britain is available from Amazon, who have some cheap secondhand copies here.

Comments