Llanrwst - Blas ar Fwyd

It was a rather wet and grey day when I went to Llanrwst, so my picture of the town's Pont Fawr bridge, built in 1636 and said to be designed by Inigo Jones, doesn't do it proper justice.

I'll go back and take a better picture, but my main reason for going back will be to revisit Blas ar Fwyd, a most amazing fine food shop. It's run by Deiniol ap Dafydd who is passionate about his food. He was recently awarded True Taste Champion for Wales.
The shop isn't particularly large, but stocks all sorts of good food. I would especially recommend the cakes, made in their own bakery opposite. Also across the road is their restaurant, Amser Da (meaning good time) and I shall make a point of visiting there as well.
It's been called "the best delicatessen in Wales" there's an emphasis on home-made or local foods, but they also sell hard to find items from all over the world. There's a nice selection of home-made salads:
There's cheeses from Wales (and rest of the UK), and also from France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Italy, Norway, Spain, and Switzerland.
In the same shop is Blas ar Win, Deiniol's wine shop. Deiniol proudly told me that he sells over 600 different wines, far more than any supermarket. He recommended Domaine Cazes Rivesaltes Tuilé, a naturally sweet wine which would go well with chocolate or coffee desserts. There's quite a few wines from Patagonia (Wales has strong links with Patagonia).
Blas ar Fwyd
25 Heol yr Orsaf
Llanrwst
Conwy
LL26 0BT

Tel: 01492 640 215

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not at all keen on their cakes though I know they're well thought of and have a loyal following. For me, they're too sweet and they have that 'mass-produced' flavour. I quite like their pies, especially on a wet day.
Adrian Krebs said…
Dear Bill, I just quoted your blog on mine, which is unfortunately in german only. Really like your blog, keep going. Cheers from Switzerland Adrian
Anonymous said…
Anon...I think that Siwgr a Sbeis' cakes have a far more "mass produced flavour" than Blas ar FWyd's. (they're both in Llanrwst)