Sheffield - Pollards

As a small child living in Manchester we regularly used to go to Sheffield to visit my parents' families. For some reason we always went to my dad's family in the morning (where we would have coffee) and my mum's family in the afternoon (where we would have tea). Even now I get confused if I have tea at 11:00am (if I do, I expect to go home from work at lunchtime!).

My Aunty Winnie used to get her coffee from Pollards, which she would refer to in almost reverential terms.
As someone who would cross a road to avoid the ubiquitous Costa or Starbucks shops, I like Pollards. This shop is in the centre of Sheffield, not far from John Lewis. It's a family run business -established in 1879. Every day, the firm roasts enough coffee beans to make 130,000 cups of coffee. Half the shop is a café and the other haf a shop selling tea, coffee, chocolates and biscuits:

They are also famous for their quiches.

Since writing this post, Sheffield's oldest shop closed down in 2011 after 132 of business.  Thanks Marc for alerting me, see comments fot details of where to get Pollards coffee now.

Pollards Tea and Coffee Company
9-11 Charles Street
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S1 2HS

Comments

haydnkerr said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bill Pearson said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
marc said…
The city centre shop and cafe has closed down, but you can still buy coffee and tea at their new shop on Ecclesall Road -

Pollards
627 Ecclesall Road
Sheffield
S11 8PT