Chester Food and Drink Festival

I've had a great weekend!  It's been Nantwich Jazz, Blues and Music Festival (is Jazz/Blues not music?) and also Chester Food and Drink Festival.  The Chester Food and Drink Festival is one of my favourites, and has become even better since it moved to the racecourse (two tips I gained were "don't back horses" and "Single Cream will take a lot of beating" - groan!).
Having grumbled about the difficulty in finding different coloured eggs yesterday, I was delighted to find Cracking Eggs who sell free range organic eggs from assorted breeds in assorted colours.

Cracking Eggs
Ley Farm
Storeton Lane
Barnston 
Wirral
Merseyside
CH61 1BU

Tel: 0151 648 9688
There was also bread (to go with the eggs) and numerous other stalls like Wirral Watercress where I got some fresh watercress.  I was please to see Catherine's Choice (as I'd been to the Deli they used to have in Dore on Saturday and found it closed).  They've decided to concentrate selling their unusual preserves wholesale and at shows and on the Internet.  They're really nice people, who were asking for criticisms of their products in the hope of improving them even further!
I watched the cookery demonstration by the genial Simon Rimmer.  I'm not normally a big fan of celebrity chefs, but you can't dislike Simon. As well as being an excellent cook, he's also a natural demonstrator.  Is the smoke here from the caramel or the cloth?
He demonstrated steak tartare, a turbot dish (Simon's tips: oil the fish and not the pan and don't cook the fish straight from the fridge) and a banana tarte tatin
It was the second time I'd heard "turned out nice again" this Easter (the first being at the performance of the South Cheshire George Formby Ukulele Society at the Nantwich Jazz, Blues and Music Festival).
When I set off I thought it was a bit daft driving all the way to Chester to pay £6 to visit a glorified Farmers' Market, which I'd been to last year.  When I came home I thought you could easily pay £6 just to park your car these days (and that was included in the entrance fee) and I'd had a great day meeting old friends and new people, watching great cookery demonstrations and trying and buying great food. 

Comments