Four Good Books!

I've had a few days off work over Easter, which has given me chance to catch up on a bit of reading.  The first book I read was Spilling the Beans by Clarissa Dickson Wright.  I've never been a great fan of the Two Fat Ladies, but found her autobiography fascinating.  There are tales of abuse, and alcoholism and a fascinating insight into how she coped. Clarissa clearly has a great knowledge of and passion for food, and I now see her in a completely new light.

I recommend you buy (or borrow) the Box of Beans which also includes 2 CD's of Clarissa reading it.

My next choice was Graham Harvey's We Want Real Food.  This book originally came out in 2006 and was revised and updated in 2008.  Graham is the Agricultural story editor of Radio 4's The Archers, and is very knowledgeable about food production.  Despite featuring quite a few organic places in this blog I've always been a bit sceptical about organic food, but this book has changed my thinking.
The Rough Guide to Food aims to help you make the right food choices.  It outlines how food processing can result in unhealthy choices and tells you how green different supermarkets really are.
My last choice is Home Grown: Food Champions of England's Northwest.  It's a brilliant but simple idea (which I wish I'd thought of) getting chefs from the Northwest to share their approaches to food and also looks at the people who supply them.
In this book you'll learn more about places already mentioned in this blog, like Claremont Farm, Eddisbury Fruit Farm, the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse and Willington Fruit Farm.  It's also given me ideas of other great places to visit.

Comments