Bucknall Oatcakes

When I asked Peter Martin (the owner of Bucknall Oatcakes) how long he'd been there, he said "since 2:00a.m."!  Peter and Sheila have had the shop for 20 years, and the shop has been there since 1942.  They're used to people asking questions in this shop, the Sunday Times did an feature about them on 9th February 1992.
Yesterday was my third attempt to visit Bucknall Oatcakes, I'd previously called when they were on holiday and on another occasion foolishly had gone too early in the week.  Like many oatcake shops, they're closed Monday to Wednesday, but they're open from 5:00 a.m. Thursday to Saturday and from 6:00a.m. on Sundays.  

In the Sunday Times article it quotes the late local poet Arthur Berry and his Ode to an Oatcake.  Apparently his ode advises that oatcakes should only be eaten two or three times a week "such richness every day would be too much, rather like having the News of the World delivered as a morning paper"!  
As the BBC are currently running a poetry campaign, I thought I'd reproduce an  Oatcake Ceremonial I read in the shop:
 
When thay't hungry,
when thay't clemmed.
Dunner blart
nay dunner sob.
They cost make a chaze oatcake,
and shove it in yer gob.
Several people came in whilst I was there and asked for 2 dozen oatcakes.  I asked Peter what his biggest order was and he told me he has supplied weddings with oatcakes. No wonder, they're excellent oatcakes!

Bucknall Oatcakes
254 Werrington Road 
Bucknall
ST2 9AW

Tel: 01782 204161

Comments

bowls999 said…
Buckanll Oatcakes produce the finest oatcakes - and believe me I have tried them all!
Jill Abbotts, Barnsley said…
As a Stoke on Trent lass living in Yorkshire, Peter and Sheila supply me with regular deliveries. I must say all the family think they taste the best. Thanks
jean mcdonald said…
I think we get the best delivery from Peter & sheila to Jersey in the Channel Islands, we have dozens delivered at a time, always first class, the taste and texture,nothing but the best, bring on the bacon and waht great value.
June Tanguy said…
The best Oatcakes in Staffordshire, a great meal anytime, my favourite, Bacon and Cheese. Peter and Sheila a great couple and make you most welcome, so if you haven't tried them yet, what are you waiting for!
Thanks
tim said…
1948 1972 loved the oatcakes whoever made them,is the recipe handed down from one owner to the other?
Regards
Tim Mangan