An Italian market and an ice-cream

I went 'up Hanley' this morning, as I'd heard there was an Italian market in town.
I thought the Italian biscuits (or should I say biscotti?) looked rather nice.  Apparently biscotti is derived from the word "bis" which in Italian means twice and "cotto" meaning cooked.  This should not to be confused with our word biscuit, which is thought to come from the old French "bes cuit" meaning twice cooked!

You could also buy cheese, olives, salami, and arancino:
Arancini (to use the plural) are fried rice balls coated with breadcrumbs and filled with cheese or a sauce, and are said to originate in Sicily.
After all this excitement I decided an ice-cream was needed.  Thinking of food-miles I shunned the Italian ice-cream seller in the Italian market, and went round the corner where I bought a Quadrelli's ice-cream (made in Sandbach):

Since this post was written, Quadrelli's have ceased trading.

Quadrelli's
18 Tontine Street
Hanley  
ST1 1NQ

Tel: 01782 215633

Comments