Anglesey Sea Zoo

If ever you're on Anglesey, I recommend a vist to the Anglesey Sea Zoo. As the crow flies (or should I say seagull flies?) it's not far from Caernarvon, but is across the Menai Straights on Anglesey.

Most of the inhabitants have been caught locally. You can marvel at the disguise of the flat fish:
The staff are very friendly and helpful. The member of staff I spoke to told me he was far more afraid of the sea bass than the sharks:
I was rather taken with the sea horses:
There was a lot of information about lobsters. Apparently a lobster produces 20,000 lobsters every 6 months or 40,000 per year. In the wild typically only one of these 40,000 will survive. One of the biggest predators of young lobsters is other lobsters! I suppose it's a design fault of the lobster - tasting of lobster!
The picture above shows how they breed lobsters in the zoo and then return them back to the sea to increase stocks. They told me the largest British lobster ever caught weighed over 20 lbs (or 9kg).

Anglesey Sea Zoo & Marine Resource Centre
Brynsienicyn
Lanfairpwll
Anglesey
LL61 6TQ

Tel: 01248 430411

Comments