Leicester Market

I went to Leicester looking for fine food shops and called in at the tourist information centre, where the person I spoke to suggested I visit Morrison's supermarket. I then spoke to some old ladies who recommended Greggs the bakers......

Fortunately I remembered from a previous visit that Leicester has a really good market. Leicester Market is the largest covered market in Europe and is well worth a visit.
There's a wide variety of traders, with over 300 stalls.
If you're after Scotch bonnet peppers, plantains or yams you'll find them here.
There was an advert for a bank where some customer (of a rival bank) had discovered that their bank is now a wine bar. I was horrified when I found the old fish market in Leicester has now become a bank!
Fortunately Leicester still has a very good fish market (it moved in 1974 to just over the road)!
Leicester is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United Kingdom and there's a very diverse range of fresh fish and seafood here.
Some of the produce is still alive and in tanks:
Leicester's longest established tripe stall is also here, they also sell chitterlings, brawn, cow heels, potted meat, gammon, cheese and various pies.
Leicester Markets
Market Place
Leicester
East Midlands
LE1 5HQ

Tel: 0116 223 2376

Comments