Alderley Edge - G. Wienholt

Wienholt's bakery in Alderley Edge is opposite a car park, and not far from the station. It's well known in the area and definitely worth a visit. When I called all the customers in the shop were enthusiastically recommending their favourite items to me!

Everything for sale in this shop is baked on the premises:
Bakery manager Heather Wienholt told me their biggest selling lines are their steak pies - which look even better when bitten into (they've got a nice generous filling with good meat and a rich gravy):
and their vanilla slices.
The customer in front of me was buying a big box full of their vanilla slices. Apparently every time he goes to see his daughter in Oxford he has to take her some!

I like the look of their marzipan peaches:
This Black Forest inspired dessert is also good:
They also do a Tiramisu dessert and a very chocolaty Schlossberg:
As it's nearly Christmas they also do Christmas cakes and mince pies:
They do some some gorgeous frozen desserts like their jewelled fruit gateaux (a citrus mousse with Japonaise base, kirsch soaked sponge layer filled with strawberries, kiwi and redcurrants).
G. Wienholt
25 London Road
Alderley Edge
Cheshire
SK9 7JT

Tel: 01625583275

Comments

G Wienholt is a wonderful place... quite how I was a skinny kid when I was little I don't know, but their food is out of this world.

Fond memories - re-awakened every time I come back! I like the idea of getting your parents to bring you industrial quantities when they visit... must call my Mum!
H Warner said…
Is this the bakery with the Jam/Strawberry door handle. I wonder if it still has it. I always remember having to touch it when I passed it, while visiting my nan in the summer holidays. I haven't been back to alderly edge since my grandad moved from there when she died.
Anonymous said…
Possibly the best bakery in the world! Steak pies are sublime, cakes are wonderful - and what a character the shop has. A gem of the area - and probably far beyond for those in the know.
Anonymous said…
I'm sure there was a guy called Nigel Wienholt wnho was in volved in the business , but cant find any mention of him....