St Petersburg - Kuznechny Market

As with everything in Russia, there seems to be more than one way of spelling Kuznechny Market (and that's ignoring the Cyrillic alphabet which made my 4 different maps of St Petersburg almost useless) so I hope I've got the best spelling?

I always enjoy going to markets to try and get a better understanding of what the locals eat.  Ignore the tatty tiles on the first picture, the displays of cabbage and other veg were works of art!
I couldn't recognise all of the fish:
but the fish were obviously fresh:
The meat displays also looked good:
although I don't think this:
would be good for people wanting to cut down on fat?  

There was also interesting biscuits:
dried fruit and nuts:
and mushrooms:
The dairy produce looked very impressive: 
although some of the stuff I thought was cheese, I now think was smetana or soured cream?
The one thing that will stick in my memory were the honey sellers:
Samples were freely given, because they knew once you'd tried you'd buy!  The  final picture shows our purchase being rammed into a pot, before being carefully wrapped up for safe transport back home:

Comments