Derby

I recently went to Derby for three reasons: 

  1. to climb the cathedral tower (more photos here)
  2. to see the peregrine falcons and 
  3. to find some good food shops!  

The only food I tend to associate with Derby is Sage Derby:
I've never been that fond of this cheese, and couldn't even find it in Derby (so had to go to Wikimedia Commons for the above picture - thanks Jon Sullivan). 


Everyone I asked told me that Soul Deli was a good delicatessen, but sadly that's now gone.


I went to two markets, Eagle Market (next to the hideous Westfield shopping centre) and the Victorian Market Hall.  I didn't think much to Eagle Market overall, but G Morgan and Sons had some good cheese:
 I much preferred the Victorian Market Hall:
A lot of old buildings have been demolished in Derby, but this building still retains its Victorian splendour:
It was built in 1864-5, and refurbished in 1938 and 1989, and is famous for having a leaking roof!  There's an excellent site showing pictures of Derby 'then and now' here, showing how Derby has changed over the years.   

I liked the way how the Fish Market is kept outside the main market hall, so you don't get fishy smells when buying other food.
One stand had an interesting selection of fresh fish, including Cornish Cuttlefish:
Derby Market Hall
Osanbruck Square
Derby
Derbyshire 
DE1 2DB


Tel: 01332 255573

Comments