Manchester - Venus Supermarket

It was Terry Hemmings (of the Post Office Deli) who suggested I call at Venus (thanks for the recommendation Terry).  Venus are importers (and also wholesale distributors) of Turkish and other continental foods and drinks.
Inside there was all manner of unusual foods, piled high and sold cheap!  A the back of the shop there's a bakery:
where I bought some Turkish bread:
 This bread tasted slightly sweet, and apparently is popular at breakfast.  I also bought some baklava and Turkish delight:
There's also a Halal butchers:
and different sausages:
These massive (5kg) jars of mixed pickles:
cost less than £4!  I asked the owner "how long would they last you" and he said "a day" - but I forgot to ask how many friends he was having around!


They were doing a bogoff on pickled garlic:
but after the complaints I get after eating pickled onions, I decided to pass on that bargain!


I thought this big box of Saffron Candy:
was going to be expensive, but was less than a fiver.


At the front of the shop there's a place where you can have a Turkish coffee and a Döner kebab.
Döner kebabs get their name from the Turkish "döner kebap" or "döner kebabı" which means "rotating roast".
I was given a traditional salty yoghurt drink to have with mine, and felt I could have been in Turkey!


I wasn't sure which sauce to have so the owner helpfully gave me a selection:
Venus Supermarket
45 - 49 Anson Road
Rusholme
Manchester
M14 5DE


Tel: 0161 256 1110

Comments

Timothy said…
I will say that the Venus supermarket looks pretty awesome. Judging by your pictures the turkish restaurant/kebab shop in the back looks to serve some of the best doners I've ever seen in any
Manchester restaurants. I'm going to have to pop round for a bite to eat very soon.