Southall - Quality Foods

When cookery writer, cook and journalist, Monisha Bharadwaj, took me on an Indian food walk in Southall, she told me her favourite shop was Quality Foods. 
It's not far from Southall Station, and it's stated main policy and motto is "to provide best products at best valued prices".  Having been there, I'd definitely agree with that.  Ginger was half the price compared to my local supermarket, and fresher:
Being in Southall there was naturally a good selection of chillies:
Did you know that the bird's eye chilli gets its name because it's spread by birds?

Some of the vegetables here like okra (or lady's fingers)
I was familiar with, but others like these drumsticks:
I'd not come across before, apparently they've great nutritional value and curative properties.

These karela, or bitter gourds
 certainly were bitter, but are supposed to be good for controlling your blood sugars.

These apple bananas:
are sweeter than ordinary bananas.

There's an excellent selection of pulses:
rice:
 and spices
all at very reasonable prices.  I was told they’ve got a big new shop in Hayes, I shall definitely make a point of going there when I’m in the area. 


Quality Foods
47-61 South Road
Southall
Middlesex
UB1 1SQ


Tel: 020 8917 9188


Fax: 020 8917 9177


Web: www.quality-foods.co.uk

Comments