Another year over

I always thought it was Groucho Marx  who said "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana", but I gather there's no evidence to suggest that he ever did say it.  It's certainly true that the older you get, the faster time passes.  Also time seems to go faster when you're happy, so if the year's gone quickly for you hopefully that means it's been a happy one?   


I've has a good year blogging. This tag cloud suggests I've been obsessed with cheese and chocolate!

Some of my favourites visits this year have included La Fromagerie - the amazing cheese shop in Marylebone,  Darts Farm (who also won best local food retailer in the BBC's Food and Farming Awards), Truffles - a fantastic deli in Ross-on-Wye, Mortimer & Bennett another great deli in Chiswick, the Chocolate Cellar in Liverpool and  Blas ar Fwyd (with over 60 different wines) in Llanrwst.


Thanks to everyone who posted comments and sent suggestions of where to visit, unfortunately the list is getting longer but I will try and visit when I can.


It's sad to see that some businesses I've visited are no longer trading, but thankfully most are doing really well.  Even in a recession I think people recognise the quality and value for money that the producers and traders featured in this blog offer.  It's also been great to see new businesses start up, like the Post Office Deli in Manchester and Brown and Green at Trentham Gardens.  Both these new businesses make good use of social media, which I think is a great way of keeping in touch with what your customers want. 


Acording to Professor Richard Wiseman (author of Quirkology and 59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot, both are really good books) you should only make one New Year's resolution. Might I suggest it should be to buy more foods locally?  Thankfully Professor Wiseman also suggests avoiding previous year's resolutions, so that means I won't have to give up quite a few things in 2011 J.


So if it's New Year for you tomorrow (I was amazed to find how many other New year celebrations there are), can I wish that it's a very happy one?

Comments