Christmas Presents for Food Lovers

In case you're struggling for inspiration for Christmas gifts, I thought I might today suggest some things I've found useful over the years.  You could, of course, pop into the shops I've featured in this blog and buy a present there.


My first suggestion (if you've not already got one) is a Bain Marie meaning water bath:
It's useful when making difficult warm sauces and also when melting chocloate.  For years I used a Pyrex dish over a pan of water, but this does a better job.


Next a steamer:
Great for healthy eating, and this sort saves money as it goes over an existing pan.  Some vegetables, like turnips, I wouldn't dream of boiling.  So I'll have my potatoes boiling away underneath, and put turnips or broccoli in the steamer on top.    


Mezzaluna with a crescent shaped board is great for chopping herbs:

I used to have a herb mill, but this is much better (it's faster and easier to clean).  This one sold by Amazon also comes with a pestle and mortar, for freshly grinding spices, which happens to be another of my suggestions.

Runner beans are one of my favourite vegetables.  I used to use a rotary bean slicer, but this sort of bean slicer:
is cheaper and better!  


Pressure Cooker:
is great for cooking foods quickly, especially cheaper cuts of meat (it makes them nice and tender in no time at all) making stocks and cooking and pulses.

A Tea Postcard:
from my recent discovery, Postcard Teas would make a great present and is easy to post.


Every week a parcel of freshly roasted coffee:
drops through our letter box from Stephen Leighton's fantastic Has Bean Coffee.   We never quite know what we are going to get, but it's always good.  We've had some completely different single estate coffees from some of the best producers in the world.  Unlike some many coffee roasters they don't over roast the coffee, and so we get all sorts of interesting and subtle flavours (with tasting notes and a video to watch on-line if you want).  


You don't have to have an expensive Espresso machine to make good coffee, this Aeropress makes good coffee for just over £20.   You'll also need a burr grinder to get the best results.


If you want good chocolates, to go with the coffee, see my last post. 


I always enjoy a nice book at Christmas.
How about Taste Britain,  "an inspiring travel guide that uncovers the very best food experiences this country has to offer".


I've assumed you've already got a microwave (for melting gelatine and making great jam), a mixer, a good pair of  kitchen scissors and some good knives.  If you haven't got a wok, pop into one of the oriental shops featured in this blog, they're incredibly cheap there (and don't get a flat bottomed one). I've not included a bread machine as I prefer to pound the dough with my hands!  


Have I missed anything out?

Comments

Love the Tea Postcard and the Taste of Britain will be on my list of books to buy for the new year!

Thanks for sharing your favorites on your blog!

Best
Tracy :)