Marylebone - La Fromagerie

A friend of ours, who lives in Cheshire, regularly shops at La Fromagerie in Marleybone.  As we have some excellent cheese shops in and around Cheshire I was intrigued to find out why....
It's an exciting shop, packed with fantastic cheeses and much more besides.  There's a café and a deli selling bread:
pesto and pasta:
fruit and nuts:
But it's the cheese room that I got really excited about:
I've never seen so many different fine cheeses in one place.
It always amuses me when people say "I don't like goats' cheese" assuming all goats' cheeses taste the same.
They've clearly not been to La Fromagerie!
They stock all my usual favourites (I heard some one ask for a famous farmhouse cheddar and the assistant told him they did stock it, but that particular cheese maker had been a bit off-form lately and would he like to try an alternative).  

Their Truffle Brie is legendary:
but at £51.35 per kilo you might want just a small piece.

When I called they had Bethmale Chèvre in stock.  It's a seasonal cheese from Ariège in the Pyrénées which they describe as "Lovely earthy, floral flavours with nutty rustic additions to the taste".  
They've got an excellent web site which also gives advice on which wines to serve to complement their cheeses.

They also sometimes have organic English fruit pastes (damson, gooseberry, plum and quince) and Membrillo (quince paste) from Spain to go with your cheese.
I had a brief chat with the owner, Patricia Michelson, but she was rather tied up suprvising a childrens' cake making event in the store.  They've got another shop (the original) in Highbury, so I shall make a point of going there when I can.

There's lots more I could write about this shop. I've not even mentioned the lovely seasonal vegetables or the ice-cream made by an artisan Italian ice-cream maker in Battersea.  But I really think you should go there yourself to find out (and buy and smell that wonderful cheese).... 

La Fromagerie
2-6 Moxon Street
Marylebone
London 
W1U 4EW


Tel: 020 7935 0341


Fax: 020 7935 6245


Web: www.lafromagerie.co.uk

Comments