Another day, another Sainsbury's

This week we've just had a new Sainsbury's open in Nantwich.  We never had a Sainsbury's in Nantwich until 1994. This is now the second major enlargement we've had since the first store was built.  The new store is 40% bigger than the last one.  It's on the edge of the town, convenient for the bypass, but 1.5 km from the town centre.


In March 2009, Nantwich town councillors voiced concerns and urged planners to refuse the development because of the detrimental effect it could have on Nantwich businesses.  In November 2009. Cheshire East Council's Strategic Planning committee unanimously granted approval.  You can see the minutes here.  Cheshire East is known locally as the "Beast in East" as everything seems to revolve around Macclesfield!  


It was a remarkable exercise for Sainsbury's, who managed to keep trading whilst they demolished the old store and build the new one.  A sign informed us that they were aiming to "recycle 85% of our construction waste on this project".  Very commendable, except, from what I could see, most appeared to be going for landfill?
Another sign told us that they are "Making a difference in Nantwich":
- but the question is what sort of a difference?


I popped in to have a quick look at the new store, and to buy a loaf of bread.  Besides the bread I came away with a greetings card, a shirt, some drinks and an offer to get cheaper electricity and gas!  Supporters of the new store said it would create jobs, and apparently Sainsbury's are employing 80 more people. 


My shirt was a bargain £7, made in Bangladesh.  Ironically the new store is built on what used to be a clothing factory, but the clothing factories have now all shut down in Nantwich. In the new store there's far more none food lines.  I wonder if the excellent local traders in Nantwich can compete with Sainsbury's massive buying power? 


I've talked about Sainsbury's in Nantwich because that's where I live.  If I lived in Crewe maybe I'd be talking about the bigger new Tesco's they're just starting to build.  If I lived in Bristol I'd have 21 new Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco stores to talk about!


Should I be worried about the new even bigger Sainsbury's in Nantwich and its affect on the town?  What do you think?

Comments

pissed in NYC said…
Yes, be worried. You obviously support small, local purveyors, but are your neighbors as concerned with keeping the local butcher in business? Once they've destroyed the local businesses--if they succeed--then they can charge what they want and/or lower the quality of goods sold. Good luck.
Dan said…
I've always thought Sainsburys were not overly expensive. I don't think there's danger of them destroying local businesses and then hiking up the price.
I think people like to go where it's more convenient and if Sainsburys was closer than my local butcher, I'd get my mear from there.
Anonymous said…
nantwich people are nice but i have noticed how mothers in nantwich take over the shopping isle
and think they own the place while being
inconsiderate to other people which says
a lot about their bad manners...