Crich - the loaf


It's Good Friday, which some think is when you should start eating hot cross buns, although the supermarkets have been peddling them since Christmas!  If you want a superior hot cross bun, and weren't tempted by yesterday's recipe in the Guardian to make them yourself, I would recommend a visit to the loaf in Crich:
The main baker here is Andrew Auld, he's a supporter of the Real Bread Campaign, so you know you're going to get good bread here.  
With so much different bread to choose from my dilemma was which one to buy?  I don't normally go for white bread, but treated myself for a change:
the farmhouse and batch loaves looked nice: 
and I was tempted by the organic dark malted coburg:
but in the end I bought some granary rolls:
and a sour dough loaf.

The tea cakes and fruit loaf looked good:
 there were Chelsea buns:
These Eccles cakes had just come out of the oven, and were packed with currants:
 There's also a deli, selling items like cheese, paté and Derbyshire honey:
If you can't wait until you've got home to try the food, there's a café.  I had some carrot and orange soup with some ciabatta bread.  It's a great shop (not farm from the National Tramway Museum, and well worth a visit.
the loaf
Victoria House
The Common
Crich
Matlock
Derbyshire
DE4 5BH

Tel: 01773 857074

Comments