Lyme Regis - The Old Watch House


I can't go to Lyme Regis without thinking of The French Lieutenant's Woman, and when I think of that I think of the Cobb (sea wall), and that makes me think of the harbour and therefore fish!
Fortunately you don't have to go far from the harbour to get to the Old Watch House.  If Simon Bennett's Old Watch House was any closer to the sea, it would be in it!
There's been a fishmongers here since 1934.  It's a fantastic shop, customers include Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Clarissa Dickson-Wright and Mark Hix. You'll could well meet the fisherman who caught your fish:
delivering it to the shop.  The seafood here is obviously fresh: 
and plenty of ice is used:
They sell what's available from local fishermen including Dover sole, mackerel, plaice, pollack and whiting, There's also local lobster and I bought a nice brown crab, which they packed with plenty of ice so that it could survive my long journey home.  
The Old Watch House
Cobb Road
Lyme Regis
Dorset 
DT7 3JF


Tel: 01297 444205


Web: www.theoldwatchhouse.com

Comments