Waberthwaite - Richard Woodall

As you get to the tiny village of Waberthwaite you'll spot a royal warrant on the wall of the post office:
By appointment to HM Queen Elizabeth II
Suppliers of Traditional Cumberland Sausage
Richard Woodall, Waberthwaite, Cumbria.

Well if it it's good enough for royalty, I thought I ought to make a visit!  They also supply royalty (and myself) with Cumberland hams and bacon.
I could tell I was in the right place by the smell, even before I was in the shop.  They still use the same curing method for their hams that was perfected by the company's founder, Hannah Woodall in 1828.  With hindsight, I wish I'd gone in winter as the shop would be full of hams hanging from the ceiling, but in summer they relocate them to protect them from any flies.
Sadly Richard Woodall closed last year as Colin Woodall was diagnosed with leukaemia four years ago and he felt he could no longer continue to run the business.  The manufacturing rights of the company were sold Cranswick Country Foods.

Richard Woodall
Lane End
Waberthwaite
Millom
Cumbria
LA19 5YJ


Tel: 01229 717237 


Web: www.richardwoodall.com

Comments