Mere Brow Farmers' Market

Mere Brow is a relatively new Farmers' Market, held in the Village Hall car park in Mere Brow (about 6 miles from Southport) on the second Saturday of the month.

I always enjoy going to a Farmers' Market for the first time, as your never quite sure who you're going to meet!  You should never take a shopping list, as it's fun to see what looks good and to buy what takes your fancy.

So I wasn't expecting to be taking home this Goosnargh duck:
from Johnson and Swarbrick.  They don't have a farm shop, and I decided that buying my own could be cheaper than going to Claridges (who also buy them).

They told me how to cook it (prick it with a fork and poor boiling water over it, before adding orange slices and roasting).

They are famous for their corn fed chicken.  The top restaurants buy mainly breasts, so I bought 8 drum sticks, which I thought was good value for £3.

There were also local vegetables:
and a stall selling some nice looking fish, a stand selling fresh bread, and another selling Lancashire cheese.  

Totally Baked Cakes were selling their cup cakes "hand crafted with love and powered by tea"! 
The next stall I visited was Homestead Farm:
where these two jolly ladies were selling all things from Lancashire.  

This included Eccles Cakes (it says Lancashire on my birth certificate so I don't want to hear any of this Greater Manchester County Council nonsense), Lancashire pickles, Lancashire honey, Uncle Joe's Mintballs, Mr Fitzpartick's cordials (from Rawtenstall) and Lancashire Tea:
and even Lancashire crisps, made with David Entwistle's Lancashire Sauce:
As their shop was just around the corner, that will be the subject of my next post.


Mere Brow Village Hall Car Park
The Gravel
Mere Brow
Lancashire
PR4 6JX

Web: www.garden-festivals.com/farmersmarkets.php

Comments