Oxford - Chateau Gateau

I've not visited Oxford since writing this blog, so a visit was long overdue.

I wanted my first post to be somewhere really special, so was wondering whether it should be Oxford's fantastic market, or one of Oxford's great food shops - like Maison Blanc.

I was on the train, heading for Oxford, reading the Daily Info, when I read a very favourable report about Chateau Gateau:
a new arrival on St Clements.

I was really glad I found this shop!  The owner is a French man, Sebastien Lenglet, who is from Soissons, and he's passionate about what he does.

The kitchen is at the back of the shop:
and whilst talking to Sebastien, he had to keep checking his ovens to see if his Madeleines were ready:
I sometimes wonder whether I should have been a pastry chef, but when I see Sebastien's works of art:
I realise it's probably just as well that I didn't do this!  

The only problem I had was knowing which one to buy:
I made a mistake here, as one of my purchases was a passion fruit cheesecake:
which tasted superb, but I gather was about the only thing in the shop that wasn't French!

If you're on a budget, you can buy one of his marshmallows for less than the price of a Mars Bar:
and I know which I'd prefer!

I deliberately didn't buy a Strawberry Tarte:
but only because I wanted to return to this little bit of France in England!

As for the macaroons, well they're the best in Oxford:
Since writing this Sebastien has returned to France, and is no longer here.

Quelle dommage!

Chateau Gateau
71 St Clements
Oxford
OX4 1AH

Tel: 01865 458108

Comments