Liverpool - Lunya Catalan Restaurant and Deli

I fell in love with Lunya the moment I stepped through the door!   It's a Catalan Deli/Bistro/Restaurant in a converted 18th century warehouse on College Lane, near the Blucoat Arts centre, in the heart of Liverpool One.

Opposite the deli there's a wine bar: 
and upstairs there's a restaurant (if you pick the right time there may also be a flamenco guitar player in a gallery above):
Also upstairs there's a wood fired brick oven, in which they bake their own sourdough bread:
Dotted around the place are various pieces of art work (which are also for sale):
The food is mainly Catalan, and made on the premises, although I did spot some fine Quaranta nougat from Italy:
in the window and also some good French garlic:
I've been reading about garlic in Joanna Blythman's excellent What to Eat.   Apparently  the dreaded "garlic breath" is caused by old and tired garlic, and truly fresh garlic never has this effect.

They also sell teas from the Fun Tea Company, like Expectancy Tea, Inspiration Tea and Sleepy Tea!
Back to Catalonian food, there's Jamón Bellota, Ibérico and Serrano:
carved off the bone to order:
There's an excellent selection of cheeses, from Spain's leading artisan cheese makers.
I tried some Torta de Barros, a soft cheese made with unpasteurised ewes' milk, which is suitable for vegetarians.  To go with it I also bought some Naranja:
a fabulous flavoured orange jelly from Catalonia.

I also bought some Cabrales pâté (a blend of Cabrales blue cheese, Asturian cider and creamed cheese), some Albondigas (Spanish meatballs) and some really nice croquetas, all made on the premises:
My purchases were clearly labelled with preparation instructions where necessary.  The staff were all very friendly and helpful.  I didn't know much about Catalonian cuisine before I went, but already feel I know a lot more now.  I'll definitely be back for more!

Lunya Catalan Restaurant and Deli
18-20 College Lane
Liverpool
Merseyside
L1 3DS

Tel: 0151 706 9770

Web: www.lunya.co.uk

Comments