The 20th Reaseheath Apple Festival

It's an interesting to ask people how many varieties of apple they can name.  Sadly most people can only name a few.  I love going to the Reaseheath apple festival to see an amazing range of varieties:
This year apples haven't done so well, so I think we had only 98 varieties.

I was surprised how many are Cheshire apples.  Some of the apples are named after the landed gentry, like the Duke of Devonshire, Lord Derby, Lord Lambourne and Lady Henniker:
Others have more intriguing names.  I think I can work out why sunset apples got their name, but why was an apple called winter banana?
Some say it does taste of bananas, but I suspect it was 19th century marketeers...

If you're able to get to the festival, our experts will help give advice on propagation and pests and diseases.
There's also a press if you wish to extract juice from your apples.
My colleague Harry Delaney is passionate about apples and his enthusiasm is infectious.  Here's a picture of Harry telling me about a new variety called Jumbo:
He tells me that if you've got a good apple, some cheese, a bottle of white wine and the company of a fine lady you have the perfect evening!  

Comments