Friars Park Jacobs


In case you don't know, the Jacob sheep is an attractive, rare breed, of small, piebald (white with coloured spots) sheep.  People from a non farming background may be appalled that I suggest you eat a rare breed, but we've lost many of of our rare breeds because people stopped eating them.  So, if you're a meat eater, the best way to conserve our rare breeds is buy their produce - so farmers can then afford to keep them!

I first met Georgina Jones at the North West Food Lovers Festival at Tatton Park.  She was sells mutton as well as lamb, so I realised she understands good taste!
She gave me a lamb Henry to try.  I slow cooked it until the meat dropped of the bone, using this recipe from Caroline Watson of Heritage Meats.  It was gorgeous.  I thought it might serve 3, but when I added some flageolet beans (to make it go a bit further) we got 6 servings. Not bad from a piece of meat that cost less than a fiver. 

When I found out that they have a farm shop, near Chester Zoo and very near to Backford Belles (one of my favourite ice-cream makers), I thought I'd pay them a visit.  I tried some very nice lamb chops:
They also may have some local veg and game when in season.

It's a working farm, and the shop isn't open every day, so it might be worth checking what they've got in stock before making a long journey.  They're usually got frozen meat and fresh meat at weekends. 

Friars Park Jacobs
Friars Park Farm
Mollington
Chester
Cheshire
CH1 6NT

Tel: 01244 851333

Web: www.friarparkjacobs.co.uk

Comments