Chorlton - Horse & Jockey Farmers' Market

An element of bias may appear in this post - for I am a Chorlton boy!  As a child I was fascinated by Chorlton Green, with the lovely Horse & Jockey pub - which reportedly dates back to 1512.  I decided to revisit - taking advantage of the new tram service from Manchester to Chorlton. The last time I went to Chorlton Station I was about 4, and it was a steam train which scared me!  

So after a visit to Hickson & Blacks, where they were doing a roaring trade with their bacon butties, I went back to the Horse and Jockey.  The Farmers' Market doesn't start until 11:0am, which is more or less beer o'clock, so after a "swift half" or two of their own beer it was time to inspect the market on the Green:
There were one or two non-food stands inside and outside the pub, which I think helps to make it a more interesting market.  

There was a stall with a nice selection of fruit and vegetables:
All About Pies were selling their old-fashioned hand raised pies:
including Chicken Hindle Wakes, Fidget and Homity varieties.

Bessy Beck Smokehouse were selling their delicious smoked trout pates and smoked fish and meat. Christine's Preserves were selling their amazing jams, marmalades and pickles.  Another lady was selling delicious looking cakes:
Alam's were selling spicy Indian and south Asian food, like these pakoras and samosas:
I especially enjoyed my chat with Some Like It Hot:
who gave me good advice on keeping slugs and snails off my chillies!

The Farmers' Market is on the last Saturday of the month. This month it's also their Joktoberfest International Beer Festival, with live music, the Farmers' Market and kids entertainment.

Horse and Jockey
9 The Green
Chorlton
Manchester
M21 9HS

Tel:  0161 860 7794

Comments