Supermarket Multi-Cons

We all love a bargain don't we?  I try and avoid supermarkets but, for a variety of reasons, I tried a Waitrose delivery this week.  I wanted some minced pork, but then noticed it was part of an Buy any 3 for £10 deal. So, like many others, I ended up ordering some frying steak and chicken fillets.  I didn't especially want these items, but thought that at 10 ÷ 3 = £3.33 per item that wasn't bad...

I made the order on Thursday and had booked a 5pm - 7pm delivery slot on Monday.  At 7:30pm I wasted 15 minutes online trying to find out why it hadn't arrived, and then spent 20 minutes on the phone (in a queue of seven) being told my call was very important.  They weren't sure why it was late either, but said something about a chaser (is that a drink)?   The delivery arrived just before I was about to watch Food and Drink at 8:30pm, but alas my pork was not available (despite the fact they'd known I'd needed it for 4 days).  My local butcher wouldn't have not had any mince, or would have run some pork through a mincer if he had run out.  What did they do?  Unilaterally cancel the the Add 3 for £10 and charge me £8.29 (instead of the £6.66) for the two items I hadn't especially wanted in the first place.

Today I went to Morrisons and bought coffee that was on offer.  It was normally £3.40 - but a sign told me if I was to buy an extra packet (which I didn't especially want) I could have two packets for £6.00, that's £3 a packet.  I carefully counted out my money at the till (I was in a hurry) and guess what - they tried to charge me the full price.  I stood my ground, but then had to wait (as they didn't trust me and went back to where the coffee was)  They then asked me to get the coffee out of my bag again, as they couldn't believe I'd got the correct weight pack -which I had.  I could believe it -as this has happened more than once before in the same store.     

I think in future I'll be doing even more business with our excellent local traders, who ask you how much do you want, rather than sell you stuff you don't need. 

Comments