Homebaked - Anfield

Today I've come to Liverpool.  I've not come to Everton (famous for its mints), but not far away from there (just on the other side of Stanley Park), is a place called Anfield...

I've not come to see the Anfield Rooster:
although I did think it's was rather fine.  

It was rather sad to see the rows of  unoccupied derelict houses nearby:
Why are we building on green fields everywhere, when there's once good property like this standing derelict? 

The shops weren't doing much better:
but there's a ray of hope. 

Opposite Georgy Porgy, which reminded me of the Hole in the Wall
(it doesn't sell Staffordshire Oatcakes, but does sell pies etc.) is where Mitchell's Bakery used to be: 
Mitchell's Bakery closed in 2010, after trading for nearly 100 years.  

However last year something wonderful happened.  The shop re-opened as a community bakery.

Here you can buy real bread, made on the premises:
Like this muti-grain loaf:
There's a pie menu:
 where you can choose pies like The Shankly or The Scouse 
and even a Liver Bird pie!

There's not just bread and pies, you can buy soup, toasties, sandwiches, sausage rolls:
They make bagels:
 and delicious cakes like these Danish pastries:
When I called they'd got some left over bread and scones from the day before - which were half price.  

I was glad the loaf was a day old, it was easier to slice!  The scones were also delicious:
Left over scones crumbled over fruit with lots of butter make a wonderful crumble topping.

I'm delighted to report there's an initiative called The Anfield Project which is going to breathe new life into this area.  

At the hear of this there will be a Food Hub - I think this community bakery is a wonderful start to this regeneration and I'll make a point of calling in whenever I'm in the area.

Homebaked
199 Oakfield Road
Anfield
Liverpool
L4 0UF

Tel: 0151 263 3117

Web: www.facebook.com/pages/Homebaked-Anfield/199143160180798

Comments

Unknown said…
Did the run for 96 2nd year for me and my grandchildren and my daughter
The atmosphere for a brilliant occasion and to hear yet again you’ll never walk alone and ZCars 👍🙂
Went to the famous Homebaked pie shop cus can never get in on match days as the queue goes on forever
BUT we will be back, lives upto it’s name
And wait the pies are very scrummie and
The staff are so friendly and helpful 🙂👍
Keep up your brilliant work x