Shrewsbury - HEFF Local Food Store

I'm very sad to report that since writing this review HEFF has gone into voluntary Liquidation and is no longer trading.

I am full of admiration for Heart of England Fine Foods (HEFF), our local regional food group.  They do a fantastic job promoting and supporting the sorts of business I like to feature in this blog.  

Last year I was rather disappointed when I heard their Savour the Flavour Local Food Store at Battlefield was to close, but this turned out to be good news - as they've now got a bigger (and better) shop at Shrewsbury College:
Today was a particularly good day to visit, as there were lots of their suppliers present, offering samples:
A lot of the stuff here you wont find in a supermarket. There's a lot of award winning produce from small independent producers. 

There's fresh dairy products like Tiresford Guernsey Gold yoghurt:
and local free-range eggs from Hollowdene Hens:
There's an interesting selection of cheeses, like Shropshire Blue or Hereford Hop:
and quite a range of pickles to go with them.  I tried quite a few different chilli jams, from Jumokeh:
Their Chilli Jam with Vanilla Pod is apparently good with cheesecake, apple pie & custard, ice-cream, sticky toffee pudding or bread & butter pudding.

Talking of ice-cream they sell may favourite - from Just Rachel in Ledbury:
Flavours include Damson & Sloe Gin, Ginger, Lemon with Lemon Curd and Salted Caramel.

There's great nuts and granola from the Ludlow Nut Company:
and cakes from Sugar n Spice

Suppliers of drinks include the wonderful Hobson's Brewery in Cleobury Mortimer:
which reminds me, I must visit Hobson's new visitors centre.

If you're visiting friends, it's a great place to pick up a gift where they'll say "wow" rather than "oh"! 
Chocolate lovers are particularly well catered for:
with chocolate from Louis Barnett,  Sue Gilmour and Nova Chocolates.

Not everything is food and drink - there's some nice books, and I bought some potato-bakers from Thinking Cooking:
which allow you to cook crispy baked potatoes - similar to those slow oven-cooked potatoes - in a microwave, fast. 

The staff are friendly and helpful - I think they've tried and tested everything they sell (I wonder if they have any vacancies)!
They also share the college's Origins Restaurant, which on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays becomes HEFF's Taste Kitchen:
I'd already had breakfast, but couldn't resist ordering this:
I can't wait to go back!
Local Food Store
Shrewsbury College
London Road 
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
SY2 6PR

Tel: 01743 452818


Comments