Cardiff - Allen's Bakery

Since writing this post, in 2014, this business has been prosecuted for 15 food hygiene offenses, and as a result I feel I can no longer recommend it: 
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/mice-mould-dirty-walls-found-17375717

Allen's Bakery is exactly the sort of place I like to feature in this blog!  I think I first read about it in another blog (Gourmet Gorro), and after finding they're also one of Rick Stein’s Food Heroes, I knew I had to visit this traditional bakery.

A lot of local people aren't even aware of its existence, down an alley near Roath:
but it's well worth hunting out.  Follow your nose!

Inside the bakery:
there's all sorts of traditional bread and cakes.  By now a queue of locals had formed, and everyone was recommending different things to buy.  My wife likes the chocolate shortbread and, as it's Good Friday, we can definitely recommend the hot cross buns:  
Allen's Bakery
Arran Place
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
CF24 3SA

Tel: 029 2048 1219

Web: http://www.allensbakery.com

Comments