Belfast - St George's Market

I've visited many great markets in this blog, and St George's Market in Belfast is one of the best! I'd put it with the Giants Causeway and the Crown Bar in my top 3 things to do in Northern Ireland!

It's in a fine Victorian building:
and has everything that you would hope to find in a good market.

Inside you can read more about the history of Belfast Market:
There are good butchers - like Greenmount Farm:
who sell wild venison, and organic meat from their farm in County Armagh.

There's lots of bakers and - as we're in Belfast, there's wheaten bread:
(and this blog always approves of try before you buy), there's soda bread:
and potato bread, including this one made with champ:
There's lots of fresh fruit and veg:
There's food for vegetarians, like the vegetable quiche and bruschetta here:
Sea food lovers are very well catered for, there's 23 different stalls:
with a wide range of fresh products:
If you've got a sweet tooth, try The Cakery Bakery:
This business is run by Paula - a gym instructor from Sheffield: 

 How about a salted caramel and peanut butter cup cake from Daisy Doodle cakes:
You must visit Ann's Pantry of Larne:
They won 7 awards in this year's Great Taste Awards for their brown spelt soda, custard tarts, spelt potato bread with black pudding, Guinness wheaten, ginger cake, spelt boiled cake, and spelt Maderia.  The judges described their spelt Maderia as "a miracle cake".

In the heart of the market I met a lovely lady who made and sold Irish stew:
She'd just been helping someone make a film to promote another trader. That's what I like about this market, the traders were like one big happy family caring for each other as well as their customers. 

There's plenty of places to eat here:
At Sandra's:
when I called, you can have an Ulster fry (soda potato bread, bacon, sausage, egg, tomato and mushroom with tea or coffee for less than a fiver.

There's the Lazy Goose:
 which is popular with both locals and tourists.

I went on a Friday, and thought there was an excellent choice of food stalls. I'm told there's even more food stalls on a Saturday, with local, continental and speciality foods. On Sunday it's a mixture of the Friday and Saturday markets.

Olive lovers should head for Love Olive:
for a great selection of olives and other delicacies.
If you're a chocolate lover you must visit Ó Conaill's Chocolate:
 They're famous for their hot chocolate.

If, like me, you're a tourist in Belfast it's a great place to buy some gifts and souvenirs. I bought presents from City Centres:
I saw this sign:
I didn't want to get involved in politics, so bought some Falls Road (a dark chocolate ganache infused with mint) AND Shankill Road (an appropriately orange flavoured chocolate) and we enjoyed both.   

The longer I stayed in this market the more things I found, and the more I loved this place. I missed  the statue of Alec the Goose, but will make a point of looking for it next time I visit. 
© Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

St George's Market
12-20 East Bridge Street
Belfast
Antrim
BT1 3NQ

Tel: 028 9043 5704

Web: www.belfastcity.gov.uk/tourism-venues/stgeorgesmarket

Comments