Northern Ireland

Every time I've been to Northern Ireland I've found that all the people have been incredibly friendly. The warm welcome is usually accompanied with good food.  When I think of Irish food I think of comfort food - like the Irish stew pictured above, which a lovely woman was selling in Belfast market. 

A lot of the food is steeped in tradition, and has origins (like many great foods)
as peasant dishes. For instance there's champ: 
Champ (food)
made with mashed potatoes with butter, milk and spring onions (or should I say scallions).

The full English breakfast is legendary the world over - but an Ulster Fry:
is possibly even better (and that's from an English person) - with white pudding and soda farls or wheaten bread. 

I often wish this blog could be a full time job, rather than a hobby. I haven't really got time to this area full justice. I'm soom going to include some posts from a recent visit to Belfast, and you'll also find lots of good places on the Taste of Ulster website. 

There's even more to find, including exciting trails like the Mourne Foods Cycle Trail - Northern Ireland's first food tour by bike. Click on the link below:

Comments